Savage - Lewis Residency


Beginning in 2018, Art on the Vine expanded its artist residency program. Inspired by the collaborative nature of Augusta Savage and Noman Lewis’s time on Martha’s Vineyard, AOTV has established a four-week residency that will support two artists from distinct practices that work both separately and collaboratively to create new works.

 

570A2286.jpg

History

Norman Lewis and Augusta Savage met in Harlem in the early 1930s. In 1932, Savage was elected to the National Association of Women Painters, was represented by Argent Galleries and founded her Studio of Arts and Crafts in Harlem. Lewis took classes from her while attending Columbia University and the John Reed Club Art school from 1933 to 1935. In 1933, Savage expanded her studio and founded the Harlem Art Workshop at 306 West 141st Street. Lewis also was accepted into the Federal Arts Project of the WPA, and joined Savage at the “306” and the Harlem Arts Guild. By 1937, Savage was named the first director of the Harlem Community Art Center, under the auspices of the WPA, where Lewis taught classes.

Augusta Savage and Norman Lewis stayed at the Hubert family cabin during the summer of 1935. They were guests of the great-grandparents of the current owners, and stayed at the cabin while the family lived in the Stone House. The family recounted how the artists’ visit caused some excitement, given their profession and the disparity in their ages. According to the family, Norman Lewis also painted some murals on the walls of the Stone House. Unfortunately, the building lost its roof in a hurricane, and in the time before it was repaired, the murals were lost. 

The works created by the artist residents will be exhibited in the Special Projects gallery at AOTV fair, August 10-14, 2019.